Longest in the world
- Snøhvit is the largest ever industrial project in North Norway, so the development was of great importance for industry in the region.
- The Snøhvit Field is situated in the Barents Sea and is the fifth largest gas field on the Norwegian shelf. In this field, all the equipment in the production installation is situated on the seafloor.
- In 2005, Nexans supplied five umbilicals with power cables, fibre-optic cables and hydraulic pipes for control and injection of chemicals.
Challenges of the project:
- Snøhvit is the first seafloor development where all functions in the field will be controlled remotely from an onshore facility.
- The length resulted in challenges for both the electrical and the hydraulic systems, which imposed exacting requirements as regards component understanding.
- The 145-km umbilical between the onshore facility at Melkøya and the Snøhvit Field is still the longest umbilical in the world.